Kaua`i Cultural & Historical Information
Learn more about Kauai’s history and Hawaiian culture from our cultural expert and general manager, Ron. Ron has an extensive collection of over 100 Hawaiian artifacts. Inquire at the front desk for “Talk Story” times.
Did you know?
- Kauai is the oldest of the inhabited Hawaiian Islands?
- The first Polynesians landed on the East shores of Kauai between 200 – 400 AD from the Island of Marquessa in French Polynesia
- This journey was 2,500 miles in open ocean in 44′ outrigger canoes. They navigated using the stars and today are recognized as the greatest wayfarers in the world.
- Kauai was never conquered by Kamehameha the Great, who physically conquered all the other Islands by 1820.
- Mount Waialeale is one of the wettest spots on earth with 450 inches of rainfall.